Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are a very common treatment option for a wide array of dental issues. Here are some of the concerns that can be addressed with a crown:
- Cracks or breaks in a tooth
- Misshapen teeth
- Severely discolored teeth
- Severe tooth decay
Your dentist will be able to evaluate your specific health needs and can help you decide the best, most effective treatment in any concerning situation. However, dental crowns are a common choice, so you may want to know more about why people choose to have dental crowns placed!
Your Dental Crown
A dental crown is a custom-fit cover for a tooth that is damaged, needs to be protected, or even needs to be replaced. Because this treatment can be used to address so many dental concerns, modern technology has developed crowns with some great benefits to the patient:
- Comfort: Dental crowns feel just like a natural tooth, so you won't have any discomfort or difficulties after the crown has been placed correctly.
- Durability: Crowns don't just feel like a natural tooth- they are also durable enough that they can be used like a natural tooth. This means you can still eat all of your favorite foods, and your crown will stay strong.
- Aesthetics: Dental crowns today are typically made from a durable, composite material that looks like a natural tooth. In fact, when your dentist takes a mold of your tooth to create your custom crown, they will also match the color to the rest of your teeth for the best-looking result!
- No-slip: Unlike dentures, which can move around, and can be fairly difficult to adjust to for many patients, dental crowns will stay in place, and allow you a great deal more comfort and ease of care.
- Easy to care for: Speaking of ease of care, once placed, your crown can be cared for just like the rest of your teeth. Normal brushing and flossing will keep your crown functioning well.
- Protection: When a crown is used after a root canal treatment or a severe cavity, it actually protects the tooth from any further decay.
If you have questions about dental crowns, or if you'd like to schedule an appointment with our experienced team, give our office a call today to get started!